This course aligns with SPICE PD Goal A which is to establish an integrated oral and primary healthcare clinical training program for UCLA Community Health and Advocacy training in Pediatric Dentistry (CHAT-PD), Advanced Education General Dentistry (AEGD), pediatric medicine, and nursing programs.
This course introduces the AEGD and GPR residents to the basics of children’s oral health with a focus on risk-based diagnosis and treatment planning.
Course materials session 1:
1.Into the Future: Keeping Healthy Teeth Caries Free”: Pediatric CAMBRA Protocols. Ramos-‐Gomez & Ng 2011. CDA Journal 39(10): 723‐733
3. IHI A Guide to Measuring the Triple Aim: Population Health, Experience of Care, and Per Capita Cost (create free online user account and then download or click here)
4. Complete the online course Smiles for Life. Modules 2 (Child oral health) and 6 (caries risk assessment, fluoride varnish and counseling) only
Course materials session 2:
1. ICCMS website
2. Guidelines on Pediatric Restorative Dentistry. Pediatric Dentistry Reference Manual, 2014 Pg. 232-243
3. Evidence-based clinical recommendations for the use of pit-and-fissure sealants.” Beauchamp et al. 2008. JADA 139(2): 257‐268.
Sealants for preventing and arresting pit-and-fissure occlusal caries in primary and permanent molars, JADA August 2016
Evidence-based clinical practice guideline for the use of pit-and-fissure sealants, JADA August 2016
PowerPoint for the lecture on ICCMS (.pdf)
Course materials Session 3:
1. Management of Premature Primary Tooth Loss in the Child Patient. Law 2013. CDA Journal 41(8): 612-617
2. Pediatric Dentistry: Infancy through Adolescence. Chapter 26, “Space maintenance in primary dentition”, 6th edition, pages 379-385.
3. Click here for the PowerPoint for the presentation
Course materials session 4:
1.Guidelines on Pulp Therapy for Primary and Immature Permanent Teeth. Pediatric Dentistry Reference Manual, 2014. Pg. 245-252.
2. Review of Pulp Therapy for Primary and Immature Permanent Teeth. Ritwik 2013. CDA 41(8):585-595.
Course materials session 5:
1. Guideline on Behavior Guidance for the Pediatric Dental Patient”, AAPD, last revised 2015.
2. The impact of Changing Parenting Styles on the Advancement of Pediatric Oral Health, Clarice Law, CDA Journal, vol. 35. No. 3, 2007.
3. Pediatric Dentistry: Infancy through Adolescence. Chapter 24, “Behavior guidance for the pediatric patient”, 6th edition, pages 352-367
Course materials session 6: TBA
About the Instructors